Saturday 9 July 2011

July - Potager Update

Here's a quick update on how my garden grows.......................
This morning in between rain showers I spent some quiet time hoeing, weeding and generally tidying up the potager.
Dwarf runner bean"Hestia"
The seeds were a gift from Gay
Getting my hands in the dirt is my idea of fun, no gardening gloves for me, which is why I recently joined Sharon Lovejoy's Grimy Hands Girls Club.
Thanks to Pondside for pointing me in that direction.
Dwarf Haricot beans
Lynn @ Happier Than A Pig in Mud recently shared her recipe for Pickled String Beans, in a week or so I think these guys will be ready to be picked and pickled!

Top: second sowing dwarf haricot seedlings.
Middle: Spicy, peppery rocket..
Bottom left, just visible: Red oak leaf salad.
I think that this is my favourite time of the year, when all the hard work starts to pay off.


It is one of my life's joys, each evening, to carefully step between the rows and pick mesclun leaves for the salad bowl or a small handful of yellow and green dwarf haricot beans to go with a simple steak and frites.

Courgettes; round, green or yellow, (zucchini) get a quick egg wash and breadcrumb coating, before frying gently in butter, they go well with steak too.
Or I could make zucchini bread.
I came across a great recipe on Becky's blog " Not Your Ordinary Agent" earlier this week.

As well as cauliflower and cabbages I planted Chinese leaf a type of crunchy oriental cabbage, for the first time this year.

It has a very mild flavour and can be eaten raw in salads, steamed to serve as a side vegetable, or added to a vegetable stir fry for a quick and easy supper dish.

Today's potager produce; yellow and green courgettes; a handful of beans; chinese leaf for steaming
and
a pretty blue hibiscus flower.
Joining The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays
and
 Mary @ the little red house for Mosaic Monday.

Click on the links above
or on the sidebar
 to visit their wonderful blogs.

25 comments:

  1. Your garden is producing well. You will have more than you can possibly use. Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *fantastic* mosaic of your garden. Your bowl of produce (and hibiscus flower...what an unusual shade of blue) is so pretty. It looks like something out of Southern Living Magazine :D

    xoxoxoxo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, but your potager is far ahead of our raised beds! We are still longing for some real warmth to get things growing. It will come all at once and then we'll be in a panic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, grimy hands seems to pay off in produce.

    Darryl and Ruth :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful bounty! Your mosaics and images are wonderful, Maggie. I've been scrolling down to visit the recent posts that I've missed. Been without my computer for a bit. Strange feeling! ;-)
    Getting plans together for the fall. So excited!!!
    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is adorable!!!! I get all of my vegetables at the Farmer's Market -- Linderhof's garden is full of herbs and flowers which you can't always buy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is beautiful Maggie! Everything looks very happy and healthy-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful shots of a very nice potager! Love the Spanish bean flowers! Used to have them too, but last year forgot to pick up the seeds! Grrrhhh!
    Thanks for sharing. And thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment;o)
    ¤ Happy day ¤

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, What a lovely garden you have. I just discovered your blog and so happy that I did. My husband and I love the Normandy countryside but have not been there during summer...just spring and fall. I will enjoy visiting yor blog often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful to be harvesting from your potager already. We're eating lettuce, and I did pick one zucchini, but that's about it. I'm wondering if any tomatoes will ripen this summer. As Pondside said, we're still waiting for some real summer warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden grows, and grows and grows! Everything looks delicious, too! Have a delightful week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Maggie! OH, your garden looks wonderful and so healthy and weed free! Love seeing your harvest too.
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Maggie,

    This is a wonderful post! My husband and I watch the Tour de France every summer, and we really enjoyed seeing the Normandy region this year. I've always wanted to travel there. My in-laws have been to France many times, and they have brought me some very pretty linens.

    I'm your newest follower. Thanks for sharing and Happy Seasonal Sunday!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful garden! Thanks for sharing!
    Markus

    ReplyDelete
  15. Morning Maggie, it all looks so good, I should of asked to have a look at your potager when we visited!! Love your mosaics of the goodies you and Roger will enjoy.

    Have a great week, Jackie in Surrey, UK.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what a nice potager, makes me feel homesick, I used to have one when we lived in France for more than 10 years (Allier, Auvergne).
    Have a nice day. Sylvia Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Maggi!
    thanks for the wonderful comment!
    I quickly re-visited your more recent posts..ahhh! what delights! hope to see mre of you!! I know I shall be returning..love your photographs!!!
    warmest hugs..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous pottager and the cabbage looks like an artwork! i have been to Normandy for a brief visit and it is quite charming so you are very lucky to live in such a pretty spot!

    Veronica
    www.tasselsandtwigs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your mosaic looks good enough to EAT! I love the background you used, too! And the pretty flower is the perfect touch! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Delicious farm fresh veggies you have growing in your kitchen garden. Ours is lying quite neglected as of now because of the rains. Grow cabbages, cauliflowers, ladyfingers, tomatoes, brinjals n...more.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have an amazing garden! Everything looks so delicious.

    Thanks so much for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your garden if growing beautifully. My mom used to use the oriental cabbage in salads when I was young. I loved it with a nice tangy dressing. And now that i'm thinking about it, I should add that to my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  23. New blog design, Maggie! I love all the leaves!
    Your garden looks wonderful and productive. Wish I could share the results!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Maggie, You have a beautiful and very productive potager. I enjoyed walking through the garden with you today.
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Maggie, what a lovely garden you have! We can't grow veggies here without a deer fence, but I still remember my father's garden with much love. It is so rewarding to grow your own vegetables. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!